Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Backyard Time.... Summer in full bloom

This year our Seasons started a little late. My Lilacs bloom later and the honeysuckle started later. Although the honeysuckle is still blooming. I notice the daylilies are just now forming buds. They should be in bloom in a couple weeks.

We are starting some yard work soon. building a retainer wall and moving some Azaleas and Japanese box woods.  I also want to move some roses, however that will have to wait til Fall.

Our gazebo can down in the winter storm. We decided not to replace it. Using umbrellas that have solar powered light as well as solar power lights poles.  Planted some container flowers, which I will blog about later on.

We had Squirrels  nesting on the roof.  They took the roof singles off down to the wood. So, we had to have that fixed.  Started trapping them and relocating them to the woods at the other end of the county. they should like it there. the squirrels do so must damage here.  Our neighbor notice we have Voles. We will be treating the yard for grubs plus spaying to deter them from coming into our yard. They will destroy the plants as well as the foundations of the deck and patio. We did notice the  tunnel hills on the back area.

Our Hot tub didn't weather the winter either. We are having that repaired. It seems like this is the year we limit our vacations. We are taking a short one to the beach this month. However with all the repairs and yard work we are limited this summer.

I will be posting the updates soon. Summer time is a great time for family and backyard fun.

Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Spring has Sprung....time for a Change

Spring has had a rough time coming to our area. The last few days have been warm and sunny enough to start some projects. The first one is the Brick patio. It was first put in around ten years ago. We have re-sand it twice. The ants and weeds have been hard to keep up with. So, this year I decided after reading up on patios, to use a polymer sand.

We started by using our pressure washer to clean and remove the exiting sand and moss. After that we started to fill in the spaces between the bricks with the polymer sand. I used a large heavy duty zip lock bag, Made a small cut in one of the corners. This made it easier the fills the lines. Used a masonry brush to help brush the access sand from the stones.

It took three days to finish the filling. Then I  mist the whole area. It take around 72 hours to cure. I think it turn out great and hope that this will solve the ants and weeds problems. This also help in locking in the bricks, after the settling of them over the years.

A very nice patio looking almost like new.